Skip to main content

When I was in Vienna عندما كنت في ڤيينا

The sky was always blue, while the air smelled too fresh for my nose that got used to the sand storms. The city was quite, yet it had lots of energy until 10 p.m.  The tourists filled the historic places which I didn't value three years ago. And the food, oh god, it tasted differently everyday since I insisted to try a different restaurant for lunch, while I tried different pizzas for dinner. 

كانت السماء دائماً زرقاء اللون، بينما كانت رائحة الهواء منعشة أكثر من اللازم بالنسبة لأنفي الذي إعتاد على العواصف الرملية. كانت المدينة هادئة، و لكنها إمتلأت بالكثير من الحياة إلى الساعة العاشرة مساءاً.  ملأوا السياح الأماكن التاريخية التي لم أقدرها قبل ثلاثة سنوات. و الطعام، يا إلهي، كان طعمه مختلفاً كل يوم بحكم أنني أردت تجربة مطعم مختلف للغداء، بينما جربت بيتزا مختلفة للعشاء. 

Waking up in that hotel which connected all of the rooms in one long balcony was always interesting, but sometimes frightening. I used to wake up and look to see my fellow travelers through that balcony, and then get ready.  Our rooms were a bit far from the elevator, and I loved walking through the hallways and just imagine the day that I would actually travel on my own to discover the hidden beauty of the world that I strongly loved through reading. I used to plan, and even count the total costs of my trips, while my body was still walking unconsciously through the hallways. I loved, and still love to dream, maybe that's why I come back to my country filled with memories that I mostly make up in hotels' hallways.
 
الإستيقاظ في ذلك الفندق الذي ربط جميع الغرف ببلكونة واحدة كان دائماً شيق، و لكن مريب أحياناً.  كنت أستيقظ و أنظر إلى زملائي المسافرين من خلال البلكونة، و بعد ذلك أستعد للخروج.  كانت غرفة بعيدة قليلاً عن المصاعد،  و أحببت المشي في تلك الممرات الطويلة لأتخيل اليوم الذي سأسافر فيه وحدي لأكتشف جمال العالم المخبئ الذي عشقته من خلال القراءة.  كنت أخطط، حتى أنني كنت أحسب التكاليف الإجمالية لرحلاتي، بينما كان جسدي يمشي فاقداً لوعيه في تلك الأروقة.  أحببت، و لازلت أحب أن أحلم، لعل هذا هو سبب رجوعي لوطني محملة بذكريات كنت أتخيل معظمها في ممرات الفنادق. 
   
The hotel's breakfast buffet was really big, and the food was delicious.  I loved to compare their croissants with Disney Land's, maybe because I started to "recognize" food flavors between in magical lands.  I didn't eat much, but I was able to take my time with the croissants. 

كان فطور الفندق كبير جداً، و كان الطعام لذيذ. أحببت مقارنة كروسونات الفندق بكروسونات عالم ديرني، ربما لأنني بدأت بـ "ملاحظة" نكهات الطعام بين الأراضي السحرية. لم أتناول الكثير، و لكني إستطعت أن أأخذ وقتي مع الكروسان. 

I learned how to understand subway maps in Vienna, and I LOVED to get lost in them.  The stations were a lot, but I managed to find the right ways in the third day of staying there.  I still remember the receptionist's words "The nearest station from the hotel is called: Meidling Hauptstr. You'll have to walk for two minutes to reach it.  Take the first metro and you'll stop in four other stations. Just ignore those because I don't think that you'll need something there, but the fifth one is your destination.  The fifth station is called: Karlsplatz, and the city's downtown is there. Have fun, and here's the map!".

تعلمت طريقة قراءة خرائط الميترو في ڤيينا، و إسمتعت جداً في الضياع بين محطاته. كانت المحطات كثيرة، و لكنني تمكنت من إيجاد الطرق الصحيحة في يومي الثالث هناك. لازلت أتذكر كلام موظفة الإستقبال "اسم أقرب محطة من هنا هو: ميدلنق هاپتستر.  سيتوجب عليكم المشي لمدة دقيقتان للوصل لها. خذوا أول ميترو، و سوف يتوقف في أربع محطات.  فقط تجاهلوها لأنني لا أعتقد أنكم ستحتاجون لشيء هناك، و لكن الخامسة هي وجهتكم.  اسم الخامسة هو: كارلزپلاتز، و مركز المدينة هو هناك. إستمتعوا، و هاهي الخريطة!". 
  



We followed her instructions, and I was personally amazed by the house of Opera that was very, very, very close the downtown. But, I wasn't 
interested in entering it. The streets were filled with excited people, I looked at them and thought that each one must have a dream to think of every morning just like me.  While some Rolex shops surrounded us, and Mozart's music filled our ears with pleasure to remind us of that city's great history which has many success stories. 

تبعنا تعليماتها، و كنت شخصياً مندهشة بدار الأوبرا الذي كان قريباً جداً، جداً، جداً من مركز المدينة. و لكنني لم أهتم لدخوله.  كانت الشوارع مليئة بناسٍ متحمسين، نظرت إليهم و فكرت أنه من الأكيد أن يكون لدى كل شخص حلم يفكر به كل صباح تماماً مثلي. بينما حاوطتنا محلات ساعات الروليكس، و ملأت موسيقى موزرات مسامعنا بمتعة لتذكرنا بتاريخ هذه المدينة الذي لديه الكثير من قصص النجاح. 
 
We walked by the Cathedral Museum that was covered with sheets which had a huge picture print of the part that it had covered and I had to go there.  I don't remember much about the inside of the it, but I do remember that someone told me that Hitler had once burned it in WW2.  (I'm not quite sure about that information though).

مررنا بجانب متحف الكتدرائية الذي كان مغطى بصحائف كبيرة كان مطبوعاً عليها صورة كبيرة من الجزء الذي غطته، و كان يجب علي أن أدخله. لا أتذكر الكثير عما حدث بداخل الكتدرائية، و لكنني أتذكر أن شخصاً قال لي بأن هيتلر قد حرق ذلك المكان خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية. (لكنني لست متأكدة من المعلومة).                                            
 
 



The city's ice cream was very delicious, and the shops were too generous in putting huge scoops of different flavors in only one cone.  My first one was too big, and I couldn't finish half of it because my mind freezed right in the beginning of my first big bite, but there's only one word to describe the flavor: YUM! 

مثلجات المدينة -أو دعوني أقول الأيسكريم- كانت شهية جداً، و كانت المحلات كريمة أكثر من اللزوم في وضع كور كبيرة من نكهات مختلفة في بسكويت واحد فقط.  كان أول أيسكريم لي كبير جداً، و لم أستطع أن أنهي نصفه حتى لأن عقلي تجمد في بداية القضمة الأولى، و لكن هنالك كلمة واحدة لوصف طعمه: يممم!
(إن كانت كلمة حقيقة أصلاً).
 



My days in Vienna were really happy. I can still smell the city, taste the chocolate, listen to Mozart, ride the subways, and imagine, everyday, every morning just like Vienna's mornings. I gave myself a huge opportunity to dream between the gardens of the Schönbrunn Palace, in my favorite pizza place, in the lobby of that hotel which enhanced my imagining "abilities", and in the streets of the city, in the silence that made it more beautiful in my eyes. 

أيامي في ڤيينا كانت سعيدة جداً. لازلت أستطيع أن أشتم المدينة، أستطعم الشوكولاتة، أستمع لموزارت، أركب الميترو، و أتخيل، كل يوم، كل صباح بالضبط مثل صباحات ڤيينا.  أتحت لنفسي فرصة لكي أحلم بين حدائق قصر Schönbrunn، في محل البيتزا المفضل لدي، في بهو الفندق الذي حسن من "قدرتي" على التخيل، و في شوارع المدينة، و في الصمت الذي جعلها جميلة في عيني.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping before McDowell's School Board

Not every exchange experience is the same, simply because every student is different, and every place is different too. Comparing an experience to another is a huge mistake, yet looking at each one individually triggers curiosity to those who are not part of it to know more.  Not every day is rainbows and sunshine, but surly not every other day is clouds and rain. One bad day shall never ruin a year long experience, and one good day will create memories that will spring in the happiness of many other days to come.     My day today was one of a kind. A day that shall keep me motivated for a good period of time. It's a day that I can smile at and tell myself that I actually invested my time in the project of my successful ways of living. I'll never be the wise person who advises people with powerful talks.  I'll never be the big boss who's in charge. Instead, or at least for now, I am going to live for the present and do my best in influencing a change in this community.

24 في الرضا، الامتنان، والاستقرار.

يقال في أحد كتب باولو كويلو أننا جميعاً في رحلة سعي دائمة في البحث عن "الكنز الكبير" في حياتنا. الكنز هنا  تعبير مجازي، ولمخيلة كل قارئ الحرية في السفر لأبعد المسافات في تصور طبيعة هذا الكنز، سواءاً كان علم، صحة، مال، أو غيرها من الأمور.    لذلك، ماذا لو ابحرنا قليلا لسا بخيالاتنا، لكن بواقع هنا وهناك. بما نراه اليوم في حياتنا من أشخاص، ما نستشعره حولنا من نعم من الله، ما نسمعه من واقع، ما نتنفسه من هواء بارد صافي، ما نتعلمه من دورس، ومن رفقة من هم حولنا من أشخاص نحبهم ويحبوننا، نقدرهم و نحترمهم، ونسعى في رحلة البحث هذه أن نكن على قدرٍ كامل من الوعي لإدراك وجودهم وكل هذه النعم حولنا.     اليوم أصبح عمري 24، وأكتب هنا بالعربية لعلي أستمتع ببلاغة هذه اللغة وجلالة حروفها التي تكون لنا معاني. استذكر السنة الماضية من عمري، وسنواتي الأربعة والعشرون هذه، وكل ذكرى كانت جزء من رحلة السعي هذه تجاه وجهة مختلفة.   أستذكر قصص تسميتي بـ "رزان". كيف كان هناك يوما في مجلس جدي فهد وعاء لقرعة أسماء مختلفة لربما كنت لأصبحها يوما، لكن والدي ممازحاً أمي وأخواتي، أخذ مسؤولية الكتابة على

Twelve Countries Uniting with Love for One Nation's Host Families

Sending small messages to more than five continents and ten countries could be extremely hard.  But finding the people who would respond to my messages with open hearts and a loud "YAS!" to something that I had to say was a piece of cake.  Having those strong connections made my last few nights light with happiness, because I was reminded through my friends' words, reactions, and pictures that the future really does belong to those of us who care about making it a better place to live for all.  We all shared one similar past during our time as exchange students in the United States in the school year of 2014-2015.  We said "Yes" to a new life that was full of new adventures and wild experiences.  We agreed to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, because we strongly believed in our power, future, and in our own selves.  Age was not an obstacle, for we drew an amazing picture of America.  Yet the most important parts of this whole year were and forever will