Skip to main content

Five People

I woke up to a phone call from my mother.  She wished me a happy birthday as I heard my brothers in the background singing, and my nephew crying.  It was 3 pm in Saudi Arabia and 7 am in the United States.  They knew that is the time I wake up, so they made sure that my alarm was extra special today.  They promised me a late birthday party.  But honestly, their love and presence even through a phone call was all I could ask for.  Right before the end of the call, my mom said: "You were born on a rainy Sunday.  But that was 19 years ago. Now go out and enjoy what this year has to offer you."

"What does the first day of this new year have in store for me?" I replied, but she laughed gently and left me there wondering.  I wondered in my small room corner surrounded by pictures and memories with some classical music playing.  I kept on wondering as I read the news, and went through Facebook and Twitter.  Then I almost spilled my hot light roasted coffee with its vanilla creamer on myself.  It was apparent that Mr. Donald Trump had won the presidency of the United States.  I stopped for a minute to think.  Yet a minute turned into ten minutes.  My coffee got colder and the music stopped playing as I was wondering sitting down on my chair.  Then I remembered my mother's gentle and reassuring laugh.  So I got up, and started living this new day.

The weather was so cold and grey.  The wind was harsh, and it was raining just like it did 19 years ago.  It was my time to laugh, so I did.  I looked around, and for a second I had so much appreciation for Boone and Appalachian State.  Despite of everything I read in the news, I was still proud of this town that I am now part of.  The community of this university made it clear that our differences bring us together, and make this place so special.  Hate doesn't divide a community, or even a nation, as long as it stands for the good, and fights for the right.  We are strong and unique because of all these differences which bring us together as a community. 

My birthday today was a reminder.  I witnessed different reactions to this election as I went from one class to another.  Some people expressed their "mourning" through loud crying.  Others voiced their anger by yelling out loud.  In one the classes, I felt the urge to say something.  I wanted to express my own reaction to all of this.  So I stood up and told everyone that I am Muslim, and I am proud of my identity.  It is up to us to stand together against hate.  But a group of individuals took a different course of action, and they treated that hate with love.  This group was giving free hugs in the busiest place on our campus.  They used their anger at the right time for the good.  They unified everyone by a simple hug or smile.  They resembled the true spirit of this Appalachian Family.  My birthday was a reminder, because I kept on telling myself that each person's positive difference made a difference.  Thus, I was born to make a change somehow. 

Today was not only about me.  I received tens of messages from amazing friends.  I looked around and felt nothing but love coming from everywhere.  Today is about everyone who's been blessing me with their love and support.  Today is about the people I volunteered my time and effort for.  Today is about the greatness of every person I know who has affected my life in a positive way.  

“Greatness is not this wonderful, esoteric, elusive, godlike feature that only the special among us will ever taste, it's something that truly exists, in all of us.” -Will Smith 

I ended this day with the presence of five great people whom I consider family.  Each one of them adds something to who I am today.  They made me forget about the grayness of the weather, and the blueness of the mood that took over our campus.  We sat down for dinner, and all I can think of was how happy and blessed I was for calling them family.  On that table -just like many others across the country- there was nothing but gratitude and appreciation for having each other.  The conversation was about all of us.  It's amazing how we're so different yet so similar at the same time.  I am who I am every single day because of who they are.  Their greatness empowers me to keep on making the difference we all want to see in the world.  Nothing will ever divide us, as long as we are strong together.  

Now I don't know what this year brings for me, but I know that last year brought these five great people into my life.  Let's all stay positive about our future, because the best is always coming.  I don't know how the world is going to remember today.  However, I'll remember it as a day when I stood up with pride about my faith and identity, and received nothing but love and support from everyone around me.  Remember, our differences should never push apart, they have to pull us together to become powerful.  Surround yourself with people you love the way I found five great individuals surrounding me today and celebrating my birthday with me.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping before McDowell's School Board

Not every exchange experience is the same, simply because every student is different, and every place is different too. Comparing an experience to another is a huge mistake, yet looking at each one individually triggers curiosity to those who are not part of it to know more.  Not every day is rainbows and sunshine, but surly not every other day is clouds and rain. One bad day shall never ruin a year long experience, and one good day will create memories that will spring in the happiness of many other days to come.     My day today was one of a kind. A day that shall keep me motivated for a good period of time. It's a day that I can smile at and tell myself that I actually invested my time in the project of my successful ways of living. I'll never be the wise person who advises people with powerful talks.  I'll never be the big boss who's in charge. Instead, or at least for now, I am going to live for the present and do my best in influencing a change in this community.

24 في الرضا، الامتنان، والاستقرار.

يقال في أحد كتب باولو كويلو أننا جميعاً في رحلة سعي دائمة في البحث عن "الكنز الكبير" في حياتنا. الكنز هنا  تعبير مجازي، ولمخيلة كل قارئ الحرية في السفر لأبعد المسافات في تصور طبيعة هذا الكنز، سواءاً كان علم، صحة، مال، أو غيرها من الأمور.    لذلك، ماذا لو ابحرنا قليلا لسا بخيالاتنا، لكن بواقع هنا وهناك. بما نراه اليوم في حياتنا من أشخاص، ما نستشعره حولنا من نعم من الله، ما نسمعه من واقع، ما نتنفسه من هواء بارد صافي، ما نتعلمه من دورس، ومن رفقة من هم حولنا من أشخاص نحبهم ويحبوننا، نقدرهم و نحترمهم، ونسعى في رحلة البحث هذه أن نكن على قدرٍ كامل من الوعي لإدراك وجودهم وكل هذه النعم حولنا.     اليوم أصبح عمري 24، وأكتب هنا بالعربية لعلي أستمتع ببلاغة هذه اللغة وجلالة حروفها التي تكون لنا معاني. استذكر السنة الماضية من عمري، وسنواتي الأربعة والعشرون هذه، وكل ذكرى كانت جزء من رحلة السعي هذه تجاه وجهة مختلفة.   أستذكر قصص تسميتي بـ "رزان". كيف كان هناك يوما في مجلس جدي فهد وعاء لقرعة أسماء مختلفة لربما كنت لأصبحها يوما، لكن والدي ممازحاً أمي وأخواتي، أخذ مسؤولية الكتابة على

Twelve Countries Uniting with Love for One Nation's Host Families

Sending small messages to more than five continents and ten countries could be extremely hard.  But finding the people who would respond to my messages with open hearts and a loud "YAS!" to something that I had to say was a piece of cake.  Having those strong connections made my last few nights light with happiness, because I was reminded through my friends' words, reactions, and pictures that the future really does belong to those of us who care about making it a better place to live for all.  We all shared one similar past during our time as exchange students in the United States in the school year of 2014-2015.  We said "Yes" to a new life that was full of new adventures and wild experiences.  We agreed to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, because we strongly believed in our power, future, and in our own selves.  Age was not an obstacle, for we drew an amazing picture of America.  Yet the most important parts of this whole year were and forever will