Skip to main content

First day in Istanbul.

     This was the longest day of my life. I spent the 24 hours having fun, sleeping in an airplane, sleeping in a lobby, enjoying life, breathing the fresh air, eating fish , walking for a long distance, and more and more!
    Istanbul is a nice city, it has the... I don't know how I should describe this city. I've discovered a lot of things in Istanbul today. I went to a lot of places, and I had a little time to read some of Paulo Coelho's Aleph. I want to find myself in this trip, I want to breath like I've never breathed before. I want to live like I've never lived before. Oh Allah help me, I've got a lot to write, but that's okay, because I want you to picture everything the way I pictured it.
     To make things easier for you and me, I'll start from the beginning of the day. I woke up at Thursday, June 14th 2012, 12:12 pm. I had a mixture of different emotions. I couldn't feel the happiness, but I was sure that a miracle is going to happen in these two weeks.
     As usual I woke up, went to the bathroom, walked in the house without knowing to do or where to go, and then sat in the living room and watched mbc 3 with my little brother. My mom was busy packing everything. My sisters were also packing their heavy, big bags. and my brothers were as usual ''screaming''.
    The time was running too fast until it was 3:00 pm. I decided to take a hot shower, and just forget about the pain that I'll be struggling in the airport. The drops of the hot, refreshing water were going inside of my ear. I wanted to listen to the sound of water and nothing else.
    We were in the car ready to go by 6 o'clock. Me, and my sisters were sitting in the back chatting. No, actually that's not true, each one of us was listening to a different type of music in her mobile. My dad said that we'll be going to my aunt's house to waste some time, because our flight was at 1:55 am!
    We arrived to Dammam at 8:06 pm! The driver was driving too slow, he wanted to show my dad that he's as polite as a little angel. My aunt prepared the most amazing meal, and I was so happy to finally see the food and sit in a proper chair.
   We all know that women love to talk, and talk, and talk when they get together. So everyone was talking in a different subject. After talking about the wars, bags, and who died and lived, my aunt said that we have to start eating. -I really don't think that you'll be interested in knowing about all the details of my aunt's house, so I'll just skip it-.
    ''Welcome to king Fahad International Airport!" Yea, (welcome)... When I stepped outside the car, I knew that I want to make a difference in myself.
    The airport part is so boring, long, and hot. We saw a lot of boys wearing the same clothes, I felt curious and asked the guy who was doing the passports about them. He said that they are a football team who will go to Barcelona to do something important there. I honestly wanted to go with them, but maybe next year, huh?
     The airplane was the worst thing ever! The air conditioner was barley working. The t.v wasn't working at all. The food smelled and tasted like airplanes food. I wanted those 3 and a half hours to pass quickly, but that's time, we can't change it.
    
     Oh Turkey! Thank you for having a nice airport! Finally we are here! We went to make ourselves a visa, let me be honest with you, they make the fastest visa on the planet. You don't have to wait for two weeks, or two months, just two minutes and they tell you ''Ahlan wa Sahlan".
     We arrived to the hotel feeling very TIRED! Unfortunately there was a problem... We arrived at 6:00 am, or maybe 7:00 am, and the reception guy told us that we have to wait until 12:00, or 11:00, or maybe if they will not kill him 10:00. I was ready to kill myself! My dad was very angry, but then he realized that waiting will be just ''fine''. I think that we slept in the lobby for three hours, and then the ''nice'' reception guy who I want to kill, told us that we may go to our rooms.    
     YES! The room was big! I believe that there's a tradition that says "little sisters should sleep in the extra bed'', guess who's the little sister? It's me! I didn't have time to discuss the extra bed issue, I was ready to sleep on the floor.
     After three hours in heaven, I heard a knock on the door. It was my dad informing us that we should leave in 15 minutes. Wait, was that real, yes it was.
     Our driver ''Ahmed'' was already outside since we came from the airport. The poor thing thought that we'll go out as soon as we put our bags in the room.
We are staying in Taksim, I think that it's a good area.  
     Ahmed said that he will take us to The Coverd Bazaar. That place was so beautiful! It had so much life, so much colors, so much people. I was looking at everything in a weird way. In my head I wanted to remember this, but in my heart I wanted to enjoy this. We spent three hours there, and then we went to the ''ocean'' -I don't know how I should describe that place, sorry.- That place had the best smell in the world! It was a combination of fish, and water. The air was cold, but we didn't notice that because we were busy watching the spectacular view.
     We ate grilled fish beside the ''ocean'', but unfortunately it was filled with bones, so we switched our meal to grilled corn.
     I don't think that you want to read every detail about today either. I'm not interested in writing everything because it's 1:53 am, and I've had only three hours of sleeping in these 24 hours.
     You know what my friend? I'm happy, I know that I'm happy because I'm refusing to sleep and wanting to write this instead. I know that I'm happy because true happiness always comes from the inside. I learned that we have to understand ourselves. We have to live and have fun even if we had only three hours of sleeping. Live, just live and you'll see the results.

Saturday, June 16th, 2012, 1:58 am.
Istanbul 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping before McDowell's School Board

Not every exchange experience is the same, simply because every student is different, and every place is different too. Comparing an experience to another is a huge mistake, yet looking at each one individually triggers curiosity to those who are not part of it to know more.  Not every day is rainbows and sunshine, but surly not every other day is clouds and rain. One bad day shall never ruin a year long experience, and one good day will create memories that will spring in the happiness of many other days to come.     My day today was one of a kind. A day that shall keep me motivated for a good period of time. It's a day that I can smile at and tell myself that I actually invested my time in the project of my successful ways of living. I'll never be the wise person who advises people with powerful talks.  I'll never be the big boss who's in charge. Instead, or at least for now, I am going to live for the present and do my best in influencing a change in this community.

24 في الرضا، الامتنان، والاستقرار.

يقال في أحد كتب باولو كويلو أننا جميعاً في رحلة سعي دائمة في البحث عن "الكنز الكبير" في حياتنا. الكنز هنا  تعبير مجازي، ولمخيلة كل قارئ الحرية في السفر لأبعد المسافات في تصور طبيعة هذا الكنز، سواءاً كان علم، صحة، مال، أو غيرها من الأمور.    لذلك، ماذا لو ابحرنا قليلا لسا بخيالاتنا، لكن بواقع هنا وهناك. بما نراه اليوم في حياتنا من أشخاص، ما نستشعره حولنا من نعم من الله، ما نسمعه من واقع، ما نتنفسه من هواء بارد صافي، ما نتعلمه من دورس، ومن رفقة من هم حولنا من أشخاص نحبهم ويحبوننا، نقدرهم و نحترمهم، ونسعى في رحلة البحث هذه أن نكن على قدرٍ كامل من الوعي لإدراك وجودهم وكل هذه النعم حولنا.     اليوم أصبح عمري 24، وأكتب هنا بالعربية لعلي أستمتع ببلاغة هذه اللغة وجلالة حروفها التي تكون لنا معاني. استذكر السنة الماضية من عمري، وسنواتي الأربعة والعشرون هذه، وكل ذكرى كانت جزء من رحلة السعي هذه تجاه وجهة مختلفة.   أستذكر قصص تسميتي بـ "رزان". كيف كان هناك يوما في مجلس جدي فهد وعاء لقرعة أسماء مختلفة لربما كنت لأصبحها يوما، لكن والدي ممازحاً أمي وأخواتي، أخذ مسؤولية الكتابة على

Twelve Countries Uniting with Love for One Nation's Host Families

Sending small messages to more than five continents and ten countries could be extremely hard.  But finding the people who would respond to my messages with open hearts and a loud "YAS!" to something that I had to say was a piece of cake.  Having those strong connections made my last few nights light with happiness, because I was reminded through my friends' words, reactions, and pictures that the future really does belong to those of us who care about making it a better place to live for all.  We all shared one similar past during our time as exchange students in the United States in the school year of 2014-2015.  We said "Yes" to a new life that was full of new adventures and wild experiences.  We agreed to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, because we strongly believed in our power, future, and in our own selves.  Age was not an obstacle, for we drew an amazing picture of America.  Yet the most important parts of this whole year were and forever will