Skip to main content

Baba

The vibration of my phone shook my school's table, and it made my heart shiver when I read "Baba" on the screen. I responded to the phone call immediately and couldn't help but laugh with happiness as tears filled my eyes when I heard him saying "Good afternoon dear. I just landed in Washington D.C.". My dad is here!  My dad really is here; in the same continent, time zone, and country!  We talked for a couple of minutes then he had to go. 

I smiled all day long with joy. My heart beats were different. I wasn't thinking about anything, except for the fact that I'll be reunited with my best friend. My relationship with him has always been strong ever since I was a kid. I was his third girl, and most likely the most spoiled one. He used to take me to work with him in his building that was located near a chocolates shop. We would always leave his office and go buy dark chocolate for him, and cookies 'n cream for me. We would have road trips together to see the desert and the mountains. He would publish my drawings in a newspaper and then hang them in his office. One time in my kindergarten years, he wrote a song about the crossing the street with safety. I remember that my teacher was really happy with the song, especially that it was also published in a newspaper. We had different assemblies throughout the school year, and everyone would sing the song, my dad's song. 

I grew, and so did our relationship. Instead of publishing my dressings, he started to publish my 100 words articles. Instead of going to the chocolates shop, we started to go to seafood restaurants to enjoy and "criticize" the food as if we were famous food critics. Instead of going on road trips, we both got invited to international conferences about media and public relations.  

He helped get through the challenges of actually growing up to be an effective and successful young adult.   I joined the Council of the Youngest Journalists in Saudi, and he was there behind me cheering for me. I joined one of Saudi Arabia's strongest volunteering teams, and he always supported all of our events. I joined the YES Program, and that's when I realized how great my relationship with my dad is. 

A girl needs a hero, and my hero was my best friend. My hero is so close to me now. The happiness that fills my heart whenever I think of seeing him very soon is indescribable.  It seems like I never knew how great my parents are until I started this exchange year about eight months ago. It didn't take me much effort to recognize their greatness, but maybe it's part of growing up. It takes us time to appreciate, but our appreciation shall last forever. 

Comments

  1. This post brought tears over my eyes, I m so glad of this strong relationship, I hope you will remember all the seconds and details you past with him. You are an amazing young lady who is definitely growing up. "Razan Al-Qeel is one day going to change the world", believe me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping before McDowell's School Board

Not every exchange experience is the same, simply because every student is different, and every place is different too. Comparing an experience to another is a huge mistake, yet looking at each one individually triggers curiosity to those who are not part of it to know more.  Not every day is rainbows and sunshine, but surly not every other day is clouds and rain. One bad day shall never ruin a year long experience, and one good day will create memories that will spring in the happiness of many other days to come.     My day today was one of a kind. A day that shall keep me motivated for a good period of time. It's a day that I can smile at and tell myself that I actually invested my time in the project of my successful ways of living. I'll never be the wise person who advises people with powerful talks.  I'll never be the big boss who's in charge. Instead, or at least for now, I am going to live for the present and do my best in influencing a change in this community.

24 في الرضا، الامتنان، والاستقرار.

يقال في أحد كتب باولو كويلو أننا جميعاً في رحلة سعي دائمة في البحث عن "الكنز الكبير" في حياتنا. الكنز هنا  تعبير مجازي، ولمخيلة كل قارئ الحرية في السفر لأبعد المسافات في تصور طبيعة هذا الكنز، سواءاً كان علم، صحة، مال، أو غيرها من الأمور.    لذلك، ماذا لو ابحرنا قليلا لسا بخيالاتنا، لكن بواقع هنا وهناك. بما نراه اليوم في حياتنا من أشخاص، ما نستشعره حولنا من نعم من الله، ما نسمعه من واقع، ما نتنفسه من هواء بارد صافي، ما نتعلمه من دورس، ومن رفقة من هم حولنا من أشخاص نحبهم ويحبوننا، نقدرهم و نحترمهم، ونسعى في رحلة البحث هذه أن نكن على قدرٍ كامل من الوعي لإدراك وجودهم وكل هذه النعم حولنا.     اليوم أصبح عمري 24، وأكتب هنا بالعربية لعلي أستمتع ببلاغة هذه اللغة وجلالة حروفها التي تكون لنا معاني. استذكر السنة الماضية من عمري، وسنواتي الأربعة والعشرون هذه، وكل ذكرى كانت جزء من رحلة السعي هذه تجاه وجهة مختلفة.   أستذكر قصص تسميتي بـ "رزان". كيف كان هناك يوما في مجلس جدي فهد وعاء لقرعة أسماء مختلفة لربما كنت لأصبحها يوما، لكن والدي ممازحاً أمي وأخواتي، أخذ مسؤولية الكتابة على

Twelve Countries Uniting with Love for One Nation's Host Families

Sending small messages to more than five continents and ten countries could be extremely hard.  But finding the people who would respond to my messages with open hearts and a loud "YAS!" to something that I had to say was a piece of cake.  Having those strong connections made my last few nights light with happiness, because I was reminded through my friends' words, reactions, and pictures that the future really does belong to those of us who care about making it a better place to live for all.  We all shared one similar past during our time as exchange students in the United States in the school year of 2014-2015.  We said "Yes" to a new life that was full of new adventures and wild experiences.  We agreed to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, because we strongly believed in our power, future, and in our own selves.  Age was not an obstacle, for we drew an amazing picture of America.  Yet the most important parts of this whole year were and forever will