Skip to main content

When Destiney Meets Satisfaction

As we reflect on our own lives, one can’t help but wonder which moments along the way made him who he is. Are we a collection of events and decisions that shape us? 

Earlier this week I remembered my first attempt at writing a fiction book. I think I was 14 years old back then, and my goal was to finish writing 10,000 words within a few months of pure fiction literature and gradually expand on it. 

The story was inspired by a family trip I had in Switzerland.  We were near the Alps, and our driver told us a story about a family whose father would go fishing everyday for lunch.  He would climb a hill to a nearby lake, and every evening he’d come back for supper with one fish that his family would have for dinner; never more and never less. 

One day, a tourist saw him, and told him what an investment it would be if he actually caught more fish and started selling it to all the tourists who came by the area.  

The man simply replied by saying “Why would I? I’m satisfied with bringing one fish a day. My satisfaction is why I decide to only catch one fish. It is the reason behind my happiness, and perhaps the reason why I would change this routine one day.” My fiction story would go on into discovering what if the man had agreed to this suggestion.  What would that step require of him, his family, and their satisfaction? 

Fast-forward to 2020. 

When is a good time to take a leap of faith? Is everything meant to happen as our lives are destined to move into different specified directions with new decisions to be made? 

As we live and go through different experiences, every lesson learned, and every mountain climbed has its own story. And every story that shapes a part of us in a way, is a journey that we’ve put our hearts and souls into as we walked through it. We experience different walks of life (and even without knowing) we are always carrying a piece of a specific someone or something in our hearts with us forever.  

“I want to remember this time of my life. I want to look back on it and appreciate those details in it.” I kept telling myself, and I think we should all say that every now and then. Because sometimes, when we’re so occupied in making sure that every next step would truly be the right one, we forget to live in the moment that makes it what it is. 

I haven’t been writing in my blog for months, so it’s only appropriate that I give a major update? 

A couple of months ago, I officially started my first full-time job. My time to actually start effectively contributing to society was finally here! If you know me well, I think you can only imagine how excited I was (and still am...). Throughout 2019, I dropped into different experiences, journeys — even had my own personal stories, and each one led me to where I got to be today. 

We are all destined to make something out of our lives, when do we say “yes” to a new step? We are all fishermen in a way, climbing to our own lakes and catching our own possibilities. God has his own way of guiding us into those new opportunities. Sometimes he guides us by sending people that come into our lives are guardians. Those who help us see the opportunity in something, and make us wonder about our own potentials and what we could create and accomplish. 

Destiney literally, in every sense of meaning, is a collection of past journeys that shape every new step we take, and every new leap of faith we jump into. 

After remembering that story that I never got to finish once I hit the 10,000 words mark, I now have a new type of realization.  It's why I write this blog. 

I’m writing this post as an appreciation letter to those whom I’ve climbed my own mountains.  

To you, each of you, satisfaction and happiness are two big words.  Put them together side by side, and they make you truly wonder.  Are we truly satisfied with where we are? 

Here’s what I believe to be the case (for now). As we drop out from journeys and drop into new roads and paths, let us remember this great satisfaction that fills our hearts with peace. With it, we know where to go next, and because of it we are at least somewhat certain of every new step and leap of faith that shall lead us to joy and happiness. 

I am because we are, and I have you to thank for that, right here and now. Because life is a story worth thousands of words, so here’s a chapter that I don’t want to ever forget. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping before McDowell's School Board

Not every exchange experience is the same, simply because every student is different, and every place is different too. Comparing an experience to another is a huge mistake, yet looking at each one individually triggers curiosity to those who are not part of it to know more.  Not every day is rainbows and sunshine, but surly not every other day is clouds and rain. One bad day shall never ruin a year long experience, and one good day will create memories that will spring in the happiness of many other days to come.     My day today was one of a kind. A day that shall keep me motivated for a good period of time. It's a day that I can smile at and tell myself that I actually invested my time in the project of my successful ways of living. I'll never be the wise person who advises people with powerful talks.  I'll never be the big boss who's in charge. Instead, or at least for now, I am going to live for the present and do my best in influencing a change in this community.

24 في الرضا، الامتنان، والاستقرار.

يقال في أحد كتب باولو كويلو أننا جميعاً في رحلة سعي دائمة في البحث عن "الكنز الكبير" في حياتنا. الكنز هنا  تعبير مجازي، ولمخيلة كل قارئ الحرية في السفر لأبعد المسافات في تصور طبيعة هذا الكنز، سواءاً كان علم، صحة، مال، أو غيرها من الأمور.    لذلك، ماذا لو ابحرنا قليلا لسا بخيالاتنا، لكن بواقع هنا وهناك. بما نراه اليوم في حياتنا من أشخاص، ما نستشعره حولنا من نعم من الله، ما نسمعه من واقع، ما نتنفسه من هواء بارد صافي، ما نتعلمه من دورس، ومن رفقة من هم حولنا من أشخاص نحبهم ويحبوننا، نقدرهم و نحترمهم، ونسعى في رحلة البحث هذه أن نكن على قدرٍ كامل من الوعي لإدراك وجودهم وكل هذه النعم حولنا.     اليوم أصبح عمري 24، وأكتب هنا بالعربية لعلي أستمتع ببلاغة هذه اللغة وجلالة حروفها التي تكون لنا معاني. استذكر السنة الماضية من عمري، وسنواتي الأربعة والعشرون هذه، وكل ذكرى كانت جزء من رحلة السعي هذه تجاه وجهة مختلفة.   أستذكر قصص تسميتي بـ "رزان". كيف كان هناك يوما في مجلس جدي فهد وعاء لقرعة أسماء مختلفة لربما كنت لأصبحها يوما، لكن والدي ممازحاً أمي وأخواتي، أخذ مسؤولية الكتابة على

Twelve Countries Uniting with Love for One Nation's Host Families

Sending small messages to more than five continents and ten countries could be extremely hard.  But finding the people who would respond to my messages with open hearts and a loud "YAS!" to something that I had to say was a piece of cake.  Having those strong connections made my last few nights light with happiness, because I was reminded through my friends' words, reactions, and pictures that the future really does belong to those of us who care about making it a better place to live for all.  We all shared one similar past during our time as exchange students in the United States in the school year of 2014-2015.  We said "Yes" to a new life that was full of new adventures and wild experiences.  We agreed to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, because we strongly believed in our power, future, and in our own selves.  Age was not an obstacle, for we drew an amazing picture of America.  Yet the most important parts of this whole year were and forever will