Skip to main content

From where I sat in the Yellow Bus من مكان جلوسي في الباص الأصفر


The fourth period of pre-calculus seemed very long as we tried to simplify exponents, and turn the negative signs to positive just by changing the place of the number. That reminded me of the same things with us; humans.  Whenever we feel negative, or try to step back from the verge of failure, we try to change our place to maybe have a greater change in life through a path of new things.  When we change the place and sign of a number, we end up influencing the whole result of the final outcome of the equation, which is basically: the answer.  A human being has all the power to change something if he focuses on a certain goal, and work.  I left the class after ninety minutes of solving equations and changing the place of certain numbers, and I walked to try a new thing, something that I've never experienced before: riding an American School Yellow Bus!

The Saudi hot weather is still following me to North Carolina, so the temperature was very high while the sun was striking very hard and I couldn't see the number of my bus very well as I was searching for it.  The number of students rushing to find their buses was very big, and I felt lost as I stood in that yellow area...

I searched around all the buses, and my bus was parked very far with the number 25 painted on it.  I knew that my host siblings would be there, but when I entered the bus I was shocked by the amount of students and noise that was in it, and to make things worst: I didn't find any seat.  But when I looked carefully I found Ava (my host sister), and I shared her seat with her, and one more person.

Not knowing about everything was kind of worrying for me, for I didn't know the name of our stop, I only knew that it's located across from a gas station, and that was pretty much it.  Although the bus was crowded and noisy, I took a second for myself to glance at everyone.  There was students from all ages, and school levels: Junior High, High School, and Early College.  Everyone shared the same amount of hunger and thirst I guess after that long and hot day.  Yet everyone shared a different background of knowledge, interest, and look.  I myself was different from everyone else.  I wore a Hijab (head scarf), came from another country, spoke different language, and had a another religion.  We were all different, but schools, and that bus united us.  I didn't care a lot about the uncomfortable way that I was seated at, I simply enjoyed riding this bus that I've always seen in movies.

The bus drove everywhere, and I saw new parts of Marion that I haven't seen before.  Our stop was the fourth, or maybe fifth, and we had to walk on a hill to finally go home.  The sun was still very strong, but walking on that hill, with a couple of kilos on my back, and as my legs were hurting me made me smile for the fact that I actually changed my place in this equation, -also known as my life-, and decided to also change my future -the result or answer-.  I may be brave for deciding to do this, but bravery needs more things, and less expectations about the future. I didn't expect anything about the bus, I didn't enjoy it a lot either, but it felt great to have experienced something new in here!

بدت لي حصة الإحصاء الرابعة طويلة جداً بينما حاولنا أن نبسط بعض الأرقام ونتعاطى مع بعض التحليلات الأفتراضية لهذا العلم الذي يتداخل مع الكثير من يومياتنا وحياتنا  علاماته السالبة والموجبة , لقد حملني هذا العلم و أرقامه إلى التوقف مع نفسياتنا نحن  البشر ,  فكلما شعرنا بالسلبية أو حاولنا الأبتعادعن عتبة الفشل، نحاول حينها أن نغير أماكننا لكي نحظى بتغيير أكبر في الحياة من خلال مسار التجارب الجديدة.  عندما نغير مكان أو علامة أو رقم  ننتهي بالتأثير على النتيجة كلها، ألا و هي: الجواب النهائي، فالبشر هكذا،  لديهم كل القوة ليحدثوا التغيير في شيء معين إذا ركزوا، و عملوا، تلك متاهة بين الرقمية وعلم النفس.  غادرت الصف بعد تسعين دقيقة من معايشة المعادلات والخيال والهروب بالذاكرة أحيانا إلى حيث الوطن، مشاهد ومواقف تحضر احاول غربلتها وطرحها  كمعادلات بتغيير أماكن بعضها. عموماً مشيت نحو شيء جديد، شيء لم أجربه من قبل، ألا و هو: ركوب باص المدرسة الأمريكي الأصفر! والذي طالما شاهدته في الأفلام الامريكية وهو بلا شك يشبه بعض باصاتنا في السعودية وربما في دول أخرى في دليل على ان العالم واحد في همومه وفي معطياته، والدليل هو شيوع الكلمة باللغة الانجليزية BUS وتحريفها في كل انحاء العالم الى لغته ولكنته بينما في بعض دولنا العربية يقولون حافلة ولكن يظل الباص هي الكلمة الأقوى حضوراً وشيوعاً.

جو السعودية الحار لازال يلاحقني لنورث كارولاينا، لذلك درجة الحرارة كانت عالية جداً بينما ضربتني أشعة الشمس بقوة و لم أتمكن من رؤية رقم الباص بينما كنت أبحث عنه.  كمية الطلاب الذين هرعوا لإيجاد باصاتهم كان كبير جداً، و شعرت بالضياع بوقوفي في تلك المنطقة الصفراء. 

بحثت بين كل الباصات، أفتش  عن حافلتي أو باصي.  كان موقوف في أبعد مكان مع رقم ٢٥ مطلي عليه.  كان الإزعاج عظيم عندما دخلته، و لم أجد مقعد فارغ أيضاً.  عندما نظرت جيداً رأيت إيڤا (أختي)، و جلست بجانبها، بينما شاركنا المقعد شخص ثالث أيضاً. 

عدم معرفة أي شيء عن محطة وقوفنا أشعرني بالقلق قليلاً، كل ما عرفته أننا سنتوقف بجانب محطة وقود، و كان ذلك كل شيء.  بغض النظر عن مدى إزدحام و إزعاج الباص، أخذت لحظة لنفسي لأنظر على الجميع.  كان هناك طلاب من جميع الأعمار، و المراحل التعليمية:  إعدادي، ثانوي، و جامعة تحضيرية.  جميعنا تشاركنا نفس كمية الجوع و العطش بعد ذلك اليوم الطويل و الحار. و لكن كان للجميع خلفية مختلفة من المعرفة، إهتمامات مختلفة، و شكل مختلف. أنا نفسي كنت مختلفة عن الجميع بحجابي الذي يعطي دلالة أنني من مجتمع أخر او دولة أخرى وربما نظر إلي البعض على أني من كوكب آخر!  لغتي مختلفة، ثقافتي مختلفة و أيضاً ديانتي مختلفة. جميعنا أختلفنا و لكن المدارس و ذلك الباص وحدونا.  لم أهتم كثيراً بطريقة جلوسي الغير مريحة، بل إستمتعت بركوب تلك الحافلة التي لم أراها من قبل إلا في الأفلام. 

قادنا الباص لأماكن عدة  و رأيت أجزاء جديدة من ماريون لم  أراها من قبل.  نقطة وقوفنا كانت الرابعة، أو ربما الخامسة، و كان يجب علينا أن نمشي على تلة لنصل إلى المنزل. الشمس كانت لا تزال قوية، و لكن المشي على تلك التلة، مع بعض الكيلو غرامات على ظهري في الحقيبة و بينما آلمتني ساقي، جعلني أبتسم لحقيقة وجودي هنا و أنني غيرت مكاني في هذه المعادلة، -تعرف أيضاً بحياتي- و قررت أن أغير مستقبلي. قد أكون شجاعة لوجودي هنا، و لكن الشجاعة تحتاج أمور أخرى، و توقعات حذرة ومنوعة  عن المستقبل.  لم أتوقع الكثير عن الباص، و لم أستمتع به كثيراً أيضاً، و لكنني شعرت بشعور رائع لكوني جربت شيء آخر جديد هنا! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping before McDowell's School Board

Not every exchange experience is the same, simply because every student is different, and every place is different too. Comparing an experience to another is a huge mistake, yet looking at each one individually triggers curiosity to those who are not part of it to know more.  Not every day is rainbows and sunshine, but surly not every other day is clouds and rain. One bad day shall never ruin a year long experience, and one good day will create memories that will spring in the happiness of many other days to come.     My day today was one of a kind. A day that shall keep me motivated for a good period of time. It's a day that I can smile at and tell myself that I actually invested my time in the project of my successful ways of living. I'll never be the wise person who advises people with powerful talks.  I'll never be the big boss who's in charge. Instead, or at least for now, I am going to live for the present and do my best in influencing a change in this community.

24 في الرضا، الامتنان، والاستقرار.

يقال في أحد كتب باولو كويلو أننا جميعاً في رحلة سعي دائمة في البحث عن "الكنز الكبير" في حياتنا. الكنز هنا  تعبير مجازي، ولمخيلة كل قارئ الحرية في السفر لأبعد المسافات في تصور طبيعة هذا الكنز، سواءاً كان علم، صحة، مال، أو غيرها من الأمور.    لذلك، ماذا لو ابحرنا قليلا لسا بخيالاتنا، لكن بواقع هنا وهناك. بما نراه اليوم في حياتنا من أشخاص، ما نستشعره حولنا من نعم من الله، ما نسمعه من واقع، ما نتنفسه من هواء بارد صافي، ما نتعلمه من دورس، ومن رفقة من هم حولنا من أشخاص نحبهم ويحبوننا، نقدرهم و نحترمهم، ونسعى في رحلة البحث هذه أن نكن على قدرٍ كامل من الوعي لإدراك وجودهم وكل هذه النعم حولنا.     اليوم أصبح عمري 24، وأكتب هنا بالعربية لعلي أستمتع ببلاغة هذه اللغة وجلالة حروفها التي تكون لنا معاني. استذكر السنة الماضية من عمري، وسنواتي الأربعة والعشرون هذه، وكل ذكرى كانت جزء من رحلة السعي هذه تجاه وجهة مختلفة.   أستذكر قصص تسميتي بـ "رزان". كيف كان هناك يوما في مجلس جدي فهد وعاء لقرعة أسماء مختلفة لربما كنت لأصبحها يوما، لكن والدي ممازحاً أمي وأخواتي، أخذ مسؤولية الكتابة على

Twelve Countries Uniting with Love for One Nation's Host Families

Sending small messages to more than five continents and ten countries could be extremely hard.  But finding the people who would respond to my messages with open hearts and a loud "YAS!" to something that I had to say was a piece of cake.  Having those strong connections made my last few nights light with happiness, because I was reminded through my friends' words, reactions, and pictures that the future really does belong to those of us who care about making it a better place to live for all.  We all shared one similar past during our time as exchange students in the United States in the school year of 2014-2015.  We said "Yes" to a new life that was full of new adventures and wild experiences.  We agreed to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, because we strongly believed in our power, future, and in our own selves.  Age was not an obstacle, for we drew an amazing picture of America.  Yet the most important parts of this whole year were and forever will